962: Why does Monopoly suck?

Discussion related to Leftover Soup

962: Why does Monopoly suck?

Postby maarvarq » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:58 am

I believe that I have hear what's coming before, but am willing to see where this goes.
maarvarq

Re: 962: Why does Monopoly suck?

Postby Deepbluediver » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:04 am

Wait, has Jaime invented a boardgame about making and/or selling boardgames? I'm not sure I'm ready for that level of Meta.
Deepbluediver

Postby Woock » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:12 am

Well there already is a board game about playing a collectible card game, so this wouldn't be too ridiculous.
Woock

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:35 pm

The worst thing about Monopoly, to me, is that it's the only mainstream board game (besides maybe Clue, if you don't mind injecting a murder mystery into your franchise) that's easily reskinned to other IPs. Because almost every component has some data that's both highly specific and purely cosmetic, from the intricately molded pewter game pieces to the properties on the board to the flavor text of the cards. So we get Simpsons Monopoly, and Star Wars Monopoly, and Disneyland Monopoly, and Gotham City Monopoly, and My Little Pony Monopoly (not even Monopoly Junior!)... even though the subject matter is as far removed from anything to do with any of those franchises as you could possibly get. Ironically, if Donald Trump had his own brand of Monopoly, it'd make more sense than not only 90% of Monopoly variants, but also 90% of the stuff he's put his name on.

That's probably what I'd seek to remedy first and foremost if you ever tasked me with designing my own board game. I'd try to make a game that's packed with a wide variety of "things", but is ultimately not about anything.
"At the end of the universe, there will be a few scattered neutrinos, some clumps of exotic matter, and 'Schlock Mercenary'', still updating every 24 hours without fail." - Darkfeather21
Steve the Pocket

Postby Deepbluediver » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Steve the Pocket wrote:The worst thing about Monopoly, to me, is that it's the only mainstream board game (besides maybe Clue, if you don't mind injecting a murder mystery into your franchise) that's easily reskinned to other IPs. Because almost every component has some data that's both highly specific and purely cosmetic, from the intricately molded pewter game pieces to the properties on the board to the flavor text of the cards. So we get Simpsons Monopoly, and Star Wars Monopoly, and Disneyland Monopoly, and Gotham City Monopoly, and My Little Pony Monopoly (not even Monopoly Junior!)... even though the subject matter is as far removed from anything to do with any of those franchises as you could possibly get. Ironically, if Donald Trump had his own brand of Monopoly, it'd make more sense than not only 90% of Monopoly variants, but also 90% of the stuff he's put his name on.

Does Chess count as a boardgame? Because I've seen just about every imaginable variant on Chess-pieces, including probably everything you've named above and then some.

There's also probably a whole pile of boardgames markets specifically to young kids that are all some variation of roll-the-dice/spin-the-spinner/draw-cards and then move your piece along the prescribed number of spaces until you win.
Deepbluediver

Postby Truec » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:13 am

For anybody not familiar with the history of Monopoly, here's the gist: it's communist propaganda. The original version of Monopoly (then called The Landlord Game) was supposed to teach impressionable young people about how capitalism is a savage race to the top where only one person can win and he can only do it by stepping on everybody else. You're supposed to hate playing it and hate what you have to do in order to win.
Truec

Postby mouse » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:02 am

Truec wrote:For anybody not familiar with the history of Monopoly, here's the gist: it's communist propaganda.

Wasn't it designed to teach Georgism? Land reform, but instead of reassigning the ownership of the physical territory redistributing the profit associated from it.

Heheheh, I have been wanting to try and make some sort of ecological simulation boardgame for a while, but my main problem has been that the 'win conditions' would be some sort of indefinite stable loop. It never occured to me that perhaps the best way to show how the stable state is good is by doing the same thing as monopoly. Having a win condition that specifically involves breaking homeostasis to show how it's always detrimental.
mouse

Postby Deepbluediver » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:09 pm

Truec wrote:For anybody not familiar with the history of Monopoly, here's the gist: it's communist propaganda. The original version of Monopoly (then called The Landlord Game) was supposed to teach impressionable young people about how capitalism is a savage race to the top where only one person can win and he can only do it by stepping on everybody else. You're supposed to hate playing it and hate what you have to do in order to win.

Wouldn't a lot of competitive board-games fit that description though? I mean, the point is to win afterall.
Do you know the game RISK? It seems a lot like monopoly in concept except with "armies" instead of "money" but its still about controlling the most territory and using it to generate the most resources with which you overwhelm all your opponents.
Deepbluediver

Postby cleveresttitle » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:27 pm

mouse wrote:
Truec wrote:For anybody not familiar with the history of Monopoly, here's the gist: it's communist propaganda.

Wasn't it designed to teach Georgism? Land reform, but instead of reassigning the ownership of the physical territory redistributing the profit associated from it.

I don't recall the details, but yes, The Landlord's Game traditionally had a Round 2, with the rules changed to better match the creator's idea of a fair economic system.
she/her/hers
hOI! i'm tempe
cleveresttitle

Postby mustang6172 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Am I supposed to feel bad about liking Monopoly now?
mustang6172

Next

Return to Leftover Soup