Leftover Soup trivia thread

Discussion related to Leftover Soup

Re: Leftover Soup trivia thread

Postby Packbat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:16 am

Packbat

Postby Tailsteak » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:21 am

A Halligan bar.

Jamie may or may not be related to the inventor of the Halligan bar, Hugh Halligan (he actually doesn't know), but he was given the bar as a present and generally keeps it close at hand. It's a single piece of forged steel, roughly a meter long, about two kilograms, and Jamie uses his knife sharpening tools to keep the piercing, chopping and prying edges razor sharp.

In terms of D&D stats, the Halligan bar would be considered an improvised weapon for anyone else (-4 penalty), but Jamie is considered proficient in its use. It does d6 damage, which can be bludgeoning, slashing or piercing. Jamie's particular copy is considered masterwork.
Tailsteak
Site Admin

Postby snowyowl » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:58 am

Why does Jamie own a Halligan bar?
snowyowl

Postby Tailsteak » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:25 pm

His last name is Halligan. Someone got it for him as a present.
Tailsteak
Site Admin

Postby Jynto » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Ohh, you must have waited ages to answer that. It's pretty cool that you think of all the little things like this.

And writing an 800-word biography for a minor character? :o It shows that you get a lot less credit for this comic that you deserve.
Jynto

Postby oowth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:38 pm

what about richard knight? or will he be returning soon enough that too much info would be spoliers.

also you said before that each room is colorcoded. are the selected colors symbolic at all?

what do ellen's sister do?
what was ellen majoring in before she dropped out?
oowth

Postby Tailsteak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:45 pm

what about richard knight? or will he be returning soon enough that too much info would be spoilers.

Richard Knight is a big teenage street thug, with a big teenage street thug's mindset. He thinks the purpose of life is the acquisition of money, narcotics and sex, he thinks drug dealing and pimping are the single most lucrative careers in the world, and he has never had any sort of honest religious or spiritual moment in his entire life. The current plotline (in case you hadn't figured it out) is based around a bullshit story he concocted for the cops on the spur of the moment. He generally doesn't make plans that involve living past 25. He is, in short, a stereotype, and isn't self-aware enough to be aware of this fact.

And I'm not giving you any more info than that because, yes, Richard is currently scheduled to be a fairly major influence in Jamie's life.

also you said before that each room is colorcoded. are the selected colors symbolic at all?

Not too much. It's mostly so that you can tell at a glance where people are (and, more importantly, so I can tell - I have a lot to keep track of!). I did intentionally make Ellen's room red colours and Jamie's blue colours, because those are their theme colours (in case you hadn't noticed). Max's apartment has the same carpet and floorplan as Ellen and Jamie's, because they're in the same building.

what do ellen's sisters do?

I'm interested in the fact that you asked what they do before you asked any other questions, like their names.

Ellen's older sister, Susan, went to art school and picked up a degree in English, but then married a fairly well-off real estate agent, and is currently a stay-at-home mom of three with a half-written novel she hasn't touched in about two years.

Ellen's younger sister, Mary, was motivated by her mother's cancer, and went to med school. She burned out and dropped out after two years, and is currently a gas station attendant who suffers from well-hidden intermittent bouts of depression.

what was ellen majoring in before she dropped out?

Comp Sci. After her messy breakup and drop out, she discovered that, in the computer field, actual experience and technical certifications tend to count for more than a standard four-year college degree. She picked up her A+ and a few Windows-related certs before Lily offered her a position at Overdrive. Lily pays for Ellen's continued education and certification, to help her stay current. At this point in her career, Ellen considers college to have been a waste of her time, and wishes she'd dropped out sooner.
Tailsteak
Site Admin

Postby oowth » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:54 pm

well asking for their name would just procure a sentence of info (although you might still manage to give an essay about how the 3 sisters were named after professors their parents took classes from, and ellen was originally going to be named bridget but one of her parents had a huge crush on that teacher and persuaded the other to pick a different name...)

does Max have any naming conventions for naming her pets? what are their names? are they all rescues from work?
oowth

Postby Alex Starkiller » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:23 pm

Hmmm... I'll let you answer those if you're inclined, Tailsteak, then I'd like to ask my own question. [This post is more a reminder to me.]
Down dirty bitches, becoming the witches
Grindin' up and down 'cause they grantin' all my wishes
Bring out all my aces like this game was Poker
Banish all the witches, thank you based Madoka!
"Ante Up" - ForeverPandering
Alex Starkiller

Postby Tailsteak » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 am

Max is currently hosting seven cats that are essentially overflow from her job. In fact, in her apartment, the room that is equivalent to Jamie's room in the floorplan is her "kitty room", a room filled with cat food, litter boxes, scratching posts, etc.

She does occasionally have other pets, but she mostly keeps cats - and, again, mostly as overflow from Big Heart Animal Rescue, which gets a lot of cats. She doesn't keep dogs in her apartment, not because she doesn't like dogs, but because it's inconvenient in a tiny apartment and she doesn't want to have to walk them. Also, cats tend to fare better when left alone for long stretches, which Max frequently has to do (she likes having the freedom to stay over at one of her partners' homes on the spur of the moment).

She doesn't have any particular theme to naming her cats because she doesn't pick the names for most of them - the vast majority of animals at BHAR either come with pre-existing names, or the other staff gives them names. When Max does get the opportunity to name an animal, she usually considers three factors: phonetic uniqueness (don't want to have three dogs all responding to Jason, Mason and Nathan, for example), ease of spelling (she usually avoids foreign-sounding or made-up names), and, finally, suitability for the animal. She is always tempted to name animals something over-the-top wacky, but will usually refrain if it violates one of the above principles.

The cats currently in her apartment are, in no particular order; Pearl, Ember, Captain Happy Face, Sweetpea, Yorick, Ink, and Dog.
Tailsteak
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Leftover Soup