Ever try reading Leftover Soup over Tor?

Discussion of anything and everything.

Ever try reading Leftover Soup over Tor?

Postby Angry onion » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:51 am

You're using Cloudflare. Cloudflare is dicks about Tor.

Okay, there's images (a whole 340 kB!), they probably want to be cached. But seriously, it's a webcomic. It's read-only. Evil Russian bots are not going to read the Spambot strips to learn new techniques. There is no point in asking Tor users to select all images with street signs to see what sort of wacky comedic sexual assault Max is going to commit today. Unless you really like street signs.

This has been a rant.
Angry onion

Re: Ever try reading Leftover Soup over Tor?

Postby Tailsteak » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:53 am

Well holy shit, Edward Snowden. How's Russia treatin' ya?

Yeah, I set up Cloudflare a few days ago. You may remember the site went down completely for a brief period? Cloudflare is the thing that fixes that.

You see, the archive system is based on a simple php script, because I don't want to handcode a new HTML page every night at 1am. My hosting service cuts me off once I hit a certain number of script executions in a given month. Used to be, the number of executions they allotted was sufficient, but my site traffic's been gradually working its way up - the price of popularity! (My host does offer a version of their service that would have unlimited executions, but I'd go from $15/month to $80/month, i.e., over a month's pay for one year of hosting.)

So yeah, I got some help from some smarty-pants guy on Twitter and he helped me set up a caching service so that my site would run fewer php executions. It's a kludge, I'll admit, but so is everything I do.

True, I hadn't considered how this would affect open-source fetishists who have a desperate need to keep their webcomic-reading habits a secret from The Government, but, to be honest, you're kind of a low percentage of my audience. And hey, you can think of the periodic captcha tests as a welcome reassurance that you still retain some vestige of non-digitized mammalian tissue.

This has been a reply.
Tailsteak
Site Admin

Postby Merle » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:04 am

Can't say that I have, but I have noticed that Leftover Soup doesn't update on Comic Chameleon until relatively late in the morning.
Neither a creeper nor a jackass be; if you manage these two things, everything else should work itself out.
Merle

Postby snowyowl » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:42 pm

Don't worry, onion, that's basically the same thing he said when I asked about HTTPS. It's more trouble than it's worth for a simple webcomic, and to worry about it verges on paranoia. Though if you do happen to be Edward Snowden, you really shouldn't be reading this forum.
... in bed.
snowyowl

Return to Unrelated