Ethics of Out-Species Sexual Relations ("The Harkness Test")

Serious discussions on politics, religion, and the like.

Re: Ethics of Out-Species Sexual Relations ("The Harkness Te

Postby Merle » Tue May 07, 2013 1:25 pm

I think your own post got lost, Mr. Thang...
Neither a creeper nor a jackass be; if you manage these two things, everything else should work itself out.
Merle

Postby The Real Swamp Thang » Tue May 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Let's try this again.
Merle wrote:This makes me wonder, come to think of it; we've seen romantic stories with humans and vampires, humans and werewolves (though I doubt there's been any mainstream work that implied the werewolves involved were in other-than-human-form at the time); just how far do you think a character in a romantic plot can diverge from baseline human before it gets too "other" for Western/American-ish societal standards to handle?

You should check out the Anita Blake: Vampire hunter series by Laurel K. Hamilton. Features were-wolves, -leopards, -rats, -hyenas, -tigers, -snakes, and I forget what else. Even a were-swan in one book. And Anita has sex with several of them, (but not the swan,) usually in their human form but not always. She also has several lovers, and FWBs among the vampires.
The Real Swamp Thang

Postby mendel » Tue May 07, 2013 3:34 pm

Merle wrote:... just how far do you think a character in a romantic plot can diverge from baseline human before it gets too "other" for Western/American-ish societal standards to handle?
Well, "human in an animal costume" is already too "other" for many people, apparently.
Mermaids are ok.
Siamese twins? Weeeeird.

I'd say, for females, if it has human-like tits and one head, it's probably ok; for males, we don't really care, there's precedent in classic Greece legend with Zeus in animal form etc.
What the heck kind of religion do you guys think I follow? (#381)
mendel

Postby snowyowl » Wed May 08, 2013 7:01 am

mendel wrote:I'd say, for females, if it has human-like tits

Question: What about normal women with A-cups or who have recovered from a masectomy?

In response to Merle's question, I maintain that it depends on the medium - you need recognisably human features in a visual medium, but not necessarily in non-visual media.
"Recognisably human features" also means "not recognisably animal features", which might be the reason that furries can be drawn with cat ears, tails, noses, etc. but generally stand upright and have humanoid proportions.
... in bed.
snowyowl

Postby Merle » Wed May 08, 2013 2:52 pm

snowyowl wrote:In response to Merle's question, I maintain that it depends on the medium - you need recognisably human features in a visual medium, but not necessarily in non-visual media.
"Recognisably human features" also means "not recognisably animal features", which might be the reason that furries can be drawn with cat ears, tails, noses, etc. but generally stand upright and have humanoid proportions.

Oh, I think this definitely needs to be taken into account. One particular scene in Splice was downright scandalous in a movie, where it might have passed without much comment in a novel.
Neither a creeper nor a jackass be; if you manage these two things, everything else should work itself out.
Merle

Postby Deepbluediver » Wed May 15, 2013 2:38 pm

snowyowl wrote:In response to Merle's question, I maintain that it depends on the medium - you need recognisably human features in a visual medium, but not necessarily in non-visual media.

This is an interesting point. One of my favorite novels has a prolonged and explicit torture scene near the end that if it where a movie it would likely be labeled a snuff film (though the recent success of the "Saw" series probably throws that into doubt).

But I have yet to see a library that prevents children from checking out any book they want.
Deepbluediver

Postby Carnie » Mon May 27, 2013 12:17 am

I'm now trying to decide whether The Motherfucking Pterodactyl passes this test. :mrgreen:
Carnie

Postby mendel » Mon May 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Carnie wrote:I'm now trying to decide whether The Motherfucking Pterodactyl passes this test. :mrgreen:

Well... the Harkness test is for fucking other species, not for fucking with other species. ;)

That said, given the picknick scene, I'd say there is no problem with intelligence, abitlity to commicate, and (obviously) sexual maturity.
What the heck kind of religion do you guys think I follow? (#381)
mendel

Previous

Return to Serious Business