Polygamy

Serious discussions on politics, religion, and the like.

Re: Polygamy

Postby Alex Starkiller » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Horizon wrote:That actually made me chuckle. As for xenophilia, there's already a thread for that.

I was suggesting there should be one big clusterfuck [literally!] thread.
Down dirty bitches, becoming the witches
Grindin' up and down 'cause they grantin' all my wishes
Bring out all my aces like this game was Poker
Banish all the witches, thank you based Madoka!
"Ante Up" - ForeverPandering
Alex Starkiller

Postby Horizon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:24 pm

This is the clusterfuck thread. There are multiple humans involved in something closely tied to sex, and they may decide to share, rather than take turns.
Pronouns: Active/Passive/Possessive: They/Them/Their.
Orientation: Asexual
Likes their partners the way they like their coffee: they don't like coffee.

Writes a Homestuck/Worm crossover called Hope Springs Eternal, on Spacebattles.
Horizon

Postby Alex Starkiller » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:25 pm

Horizon wrote:This is the clusterfuck thread. There are multiple humans involved in something closely tied to sex, and they may decide to share, rather than take turns.

I'm glaring at the screen right now. Good job.
Down dirty bitches, becoming the witches
Grindin' up and down 'cause they grantin' all my wishes
Bring out all my aces like this game was Poker
Banish all the witches, thank you based Madoka!
"Ante Up" - ForeverPandering
Alex Starkiller

Postby crayzz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm

luislsacc wrote:Yes, but the relation is still marriage between a man and a woman, it's Man A is married to Woman B, C and D, but none of the women are married to each other.

You're confusing "polygamy" (multiple wives, as opposed to "polyandry", where one has multiple husbands) for "polyamory". I also know from experience many atheists are against homosexual marriage, mainly by appealing (wrongly) to the naturalistic fallacy and the "it grosses me out" fallacy.
crayzz

Postby Horizon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Oh dear. There are homophobes among the atheists? I wasn't anticipating that. Well, I'm off to clean my neighbour's pool. His name's Gene. It's very wet work.
Pronouns: Active/Passive/Possessive: They/Them/Their.
Orientation: Asexual
Likes their partners the way they like their coffee: they don't like coffee.

Writes a Homestuck/Worm crossover called Hope Springs Eternal, on Spacebattles.
Horizon

Postby Globus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:41 am

Horizon wrote:No to zoophilia because, as it stands now, only humans are capable of granting informed consent, and having sex with an animal is similar to rape.

Erm... this is not as clear-cut as you make it seem. Premeditated slaughter of animals is legal, after all, and a dildo doesn't give consent either.

EDIT: Also, the it-grosses-me-out thing isn't a fallacy. It used to be a survival mechanism, that's why it seems so important.
Globus

Postby snowyowl » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:06 am

Horizon wrote:Oh dear. There are homophobes among the atheists? I wasn't anticipating that. Well, I'm off to clean my neighbour's pool. His name's Gene. It's very wet work.

Pix please.
... in bed.
snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:26 am

That's gorgeous. I was practically rolling on the floor by the end.

Spoiler alert, but schema 14 is incredibly elegant. It has all the representative capabilities of the mess that is 13 and then some, yet it's just 11 with the boring "only one marriage at a time" rule removed.
... in bed.
snowyowl

Postby kd7sov » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:34 am

crayzz wrote:
luislsacc wrote:Yes, but the relation is still marriage between a man and a woman, it's Man A is married to Woman B, C and D, but none of the women are married to each other.

You're confusing "polygamy" (multiple wives, as opposed to "polyandry", where one has multiple husbands) for "polyamory". I also know from experience many atheists are against homosexual marriage, mainly by appealing (wrongly) to the naturalistic fallacy and the "it grosses me out" fallacy.

I'm afraid you also have your definitions slightly mixed up: "polygamy" is a marital relationship between more than two persons, regardless of gender; "polygyny" is specifically the multiple-wives form.
kd7sov

Postby crayzz » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:48 am

kd7sov wrote:I'm afraid you also have your definitions slightly mixed up: "polygamy" is a marital relationship between more than two persons, regardless of gender; "polygyny" is specifically the multiple-wives form.

Well. That's embarassing.

horizon wrote:There are homophobes among the atheists? I wasn't anticipating that.

There are bigfoot believers among the skeptics. Anticipate everything.

Globus wrote:Also, the it-grosses-me-out thing isn't a fallacy. It used to be a survival mechanism, that's why it seems so important.

"My culturally induced disgust makes your sexual preference immoral" is indeed fallacious reasoning (of the non-sequitur variety).
crayzz

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business