How do you take the measure of a man?

Serious discussions on politics, religion, and the like.

Re: How do you take the measure of a man?

Postby MysticWav » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:50 am

Yeah, whenever you begin a discussion by telling people that disagree with you not to participate, that's a good sign that you're not actually looking to have a discussion. :)

That said there are a lot of different definitions of friend. People you like to hang out with is a common one. I prefer to use one as a measure of the degree of mutual selflessness one would engage in, and mutual trust. There are people I haven't seen in a decade that I'm perfectly content not to spend time with because our interests have diverged. But they have good hearts. I'd trust them to be in my home when I wasn't there, or watch my children (I don't have any children, but if I did), and if they really needed me I'd be on a train out to help them at the drop of a hat.

Of course, absent specifics it's hard to know what your mother had in mind. Rather than either of those definitions she might have been instructing you to have compassion for someone who is vulnerable and in need of an ally; to show kindness to someone who could use it. There is nothing wrong with a preference for the company of people with certain personality traits. We all have our own interests and types of people we "click" with. That said, never fall into the trap of thinking morally neutral traits make you better than someone else. When you take it upon yourself to set standards for other people, life has a way of humbling you with them. You're young, though, so I don't expect you to take that lesson to heart until you learn it the hard way as virtually everyone who has come before you, myself included, insists on doing. :)
MysticWav

Postby Alex Starkiller » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:00 pm

Merle wrote:Remember Gollum; even for the most seemingly worthless individual, there is going to be a large degree of unpredictability as to what value they may actually hold.

That said, I think the "Elements of Harmony" setup works pretty well to gauge someone's status as a friend. Loyalty, generosity, kindness, honesty, and laughter are all things I want my friends to possess, more than sheer raw intelligence.

Damn. That's a pretty good a way to live. I like you.
Down dirty bitches, becoming the witches
Grindin' up and down 'cause they grantin' all my wishes
Bring out all my aces like this game was Poker
Banish all the witches, thank you based Madoka!
"Ante Up" - ForeverPandering
Alex Starkiller

Postby Horizon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:12 pm

Why, merle, I never knew you were a brony.
Pronouns: Active/Passive/Possessive: They/Them/Their.
Orientation: Asexual
Likes their partners the way they like their coffee: they don't like coffee.

Writes a Homestuck/Worm crossover called Hope Springs Eternal, on Spacebattles.
Horizon

Postby Merle » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:07 am

Ayup! Got hooked on the show by friends around the middle of the first season.
Neither a creeper nor a jackass be; if you manage these two things, everything else should work itself out.
Merle

Postby Horizon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:26 am

So, I suppose it would be a real dick move to link you to Cupcakes...

Also, mystic, the reason I mentioned that at the beginning was because I wasn't asking if we should judge people's personal merits(we should, and we do), I was asking how we should judge a person's qualities.

Horizon

Postby Alex Starkiller » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Yeah. Merle, I'mma assume you already know about Cupcakes. That said, you might not have, so if you really want to know just google the TVTropes page to find out why you shouldn't read it.

I joined in mid-late Season 2, and just started from the very beginning. I hear that's not the proper way to introduce yourself to the series but I kept at it and fell in love regardless. [I am consistently surprised at the level of detail in the show. Rewatching it all now and it still hasn't failed to impress.]
Alex Starkiller

Postby Horizon » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:40 pm

I will admit to brony-hood myself. I watched a few episodes(translation: the first two seasons) about a year or two ago, and I liked them. Not enough to watch the newer stuff, but it was okay.

I also read Cupcakes, Sweet Apple Massacre, some other really fucked up fanfics, and no, I have not nor will I ever write my own MLP fanfic. Unless I lost a bet.

Horizon

Postby Alex Starkiller » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:17 pm

I love this shit. My favorite show ever, my favorite fandom ever, ad infinitum. Tons of quality stuff all over. Especially in the art department, that is pictures and stuff.

And I might, if I convince myself. I've got a few ideas kicking around in my head.
Alex Starkiller

Postby Merle » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:14 am

Horizon wrote:So, I suppose it would be a real dick move to link you to Cupcakes...

Also, mystic, the reason I mentioned that at the beginning was because I wasn't asking if we should judge people's personal merits(we should, and we do), I was asking how we should judge a person's qualities.

Already read it. It struck me as intellectually lazy, but some of the response fics to it are pretty good! (Can't remember the title, but there's one where Pinkie has a nightmare of Cupcakes and becomes convinced it's some horrible inevitability and that she's a danger to her friends.)

I can't say I'm surprised that I enjoyed MLP:FiM, considering that it's Lauren Faust's brainchild. I was a fan of her work long before pony fandom was a modern thing.
Neither a creeper nor a jackass be; if you manage these two things, everything else should work itself out.
Merle

Postby Horizon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:41 am

Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends fans represent!

Horizon

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business