Deterrent

Serious discussions on politics, religion, and the like.

Re: Deterrent

Postby crayzz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 am

"an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat."

The police, to me, are neither dangerous, likely to cause pain, nor a threat. What crimes I have done are the sort you'd need to be truly foolish to get caught. Seeing as I've committed no crimes, the police are not a threat. Ideally. I might have something to fear from corrupt police, but than I'm white and lower middle class. I'm not the demographic police tend to abuse. Even if I was afraid of them, it would be for their actions outside the purpose of the justice system. You could argue that fear is fear, but it's pretty clear to me that such fear violates the spirit of the question.

Your definition is far more general than I use for "fear"; it's a lot closer to "respect" (as in, "people need to respect the safety procedures").
crayzz

Postby Felblood » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:10 am

You guys must have different police than I do.

You could say I've seen more than my share of power abused, wasted or simply mishandled.

Who watches the watchman?
Felblood

Postby Horizon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:07 pm

The Duke, His Grace Sir Samuel Vimes, duke of Ankh-Morpork.
Pronouns: Active/Passive/Possessive: They/Them/Their.
Orientation: Asexual
Likes their partners the way they like their coffee: they don't like coffee.

Writes a Homestuck/Worm crossover called Hope Springs Eternal, on Spacebattles.
Horizon

Postby Felblood » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Horizon wrote:The Duke, His Grace Sir Samuel Vimes, duke of Ankh-Morpork.

I'm not worried about who is watching Vimes, Vimes watches himself. That's what makes him a hero, as opposed to Nobby Nobbs, whom I also only trust because Vimes is there to watch him.

I'm more concerned about who is keeping Sergent [REDACTED] off my back, because he's still bitter about that time I failed to dim my headlights for him.

Cops can be assholes too.
Felblood

Previous

Return to Serious Business