Quick Question on Religion

Serious discussions on politics, religion, and the like.

Re: Quick Question on Religion

Postby crayzz » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:06 pm

Deepbluediver wrote:If you purposefully try to go against the tide, then your direction is still being determined by society. A non-conformist would have to be someone who had no interest in anything society dictated as right or wrong, being entirely self-absorbed. Their behavior might coincide with other people's on occasion, but with a large sample-group it would effectively be random. That's my take on it.

RyukaTana had a similar objection; again, it's personal slang on my part.

They do fit the definition of non-conformist, though: "One who does not conform to, or refuses to be bound by, accepted beliefs, customs, or practices." The emboldened is exactly what jocaypa described.
crayzz

Postby RyukaTana » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:50 pm

Deepbluediver wrote:
crayzz wrote:After a brief look around, non-conformist fits. I'd call this person a true non-conformist: not conforming for the sake of not conforming.

Hmm....tricky to be sure, but I'm not sure I see it that way. If you purposefully try to go against the tide, then your direction is still being determined by society. A non-conformist would have to be someone who had no interest in anything society dictated as right or wrong, being entirely self-absorbed. Their behavior might coincide with other people's on occasion, but with a large sample-group it would effectively be random. That's my take on it.

I take issue with the word 'self-absorbed'. It may seem a small difference, but I would say the proper idea is 'self-centered', which is a virtue by my judgment. We should all focus on ourselves first. So long as we are not 'egocentric' or insist that everyone else by centered on 'ourselves', our primary priorities in life should always be us.

Self-absorbed has the connotation that one is so self-involved that they ignore all other things.

Otherwise, I agree with your statement.
"Yamete, oshiri ga itai!"
RyukaTana

Postby snowyowl » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:16 am

If anyone is interested in my answer to the original question, I point you to the word misotheist: a person who believes that a god or gods exist, but doesn't like them.
... in bed.
snowyowl

Postby crayzz » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:43 am

Ooh, that's a good one, snowyowl.
crayzz

Postby typhon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:43 pm

Yes, it seems what Jocaypa talks about can be variously described as misotheism, dystheism, and apatheism.

I love the fact that you can be a misotheist without being a dystheist. "God is all good BUT I hate him".

See also this list of little-known forms of religion : http://squid314.livejournal.com/349093.html

Typhon
typhon

Previous

Return to Serious Business