0032 - Victor Appletronic II

Discussion related to Forward

0032 - Victor Appletronic II

Postby dr pepper » Mon May 14, 2018 11:40 pm

Last edited by dr pepper on Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr pepper

Re: 0032 - Victor Appletronic Jr.

Postby dr pepper » Mon May 14, 2018 11:42 pm

Not much of a revelation, it's just the natural evolution of the formulaic writing pool that's been around for decades.

On the other hand, what do you mean, our lead character isn't on Mars?!
dr pepper

Re: 0032 - Victor Appletronic II

Postby yomikoma » Tue May 15, 2018 7:38 am

I think it's pretty clear Lee isn't Martian - for one thing, they have subtitles turned on. I wonder if it will be made clear where on Earth the comic takes place.
yomikoma

Postby Killjoy » Tue May 15, 2018 11:21 pm

And yeah, most of the entertainment consumed on Earth is of Martian origin. They also produce most of the world's medical breakthroughs, technological developments, et cetera. Exporting information, after all, is far more cost-effective than exporting physical goods, so that's the direction their economy goes.

The Martian economy is interesting, because they pretty much went from constant frantic improvisational pass-me-that-wrench-or-we're-all-going-to-die disaster to a post-scarcity Utopia within a single generation. They never really developed capitalism as we understand it - they didn't need to. Functionally, the entire planet is not only a single nation, but a single household.

Picture an idyllic Google campusy sort of environment under a cluster of domes, with lots of big beautiful trees and expertly designed open spaces and the equivalent of TED talks and Nobel prize ceremonies constantly going on and you can just go grab a shwarma without having to put your shoes on. Culturally, the Martians are all about maximizing positive stimulation in order to maximize innovative productivity... and vice versa.

Mars sounds like hell, so far.
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy

Postby Merle » Wed May 16, 2018 11:17 am

Killjoy wrote:Mars sounds like hell, so far.

Really? Well, I guess you wouldn't be there, were you in this setting. But it doesn't sound too bad to me. Not perfect, maybe, but probably my second-favorite Martian civilization after A Miracle of Science.
Neither a creeper nor a jackass be; if you manage these two things, everything else should work itself out.
Merle

Postby Killjoy » Thu May 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Merle wrote:
Killjoy wrote:Mars sounds like hell, so far.

Really? Well, I guess you wouldn't be there, were you in this setting. But it doesn't sound too bad to me. Not perfect, maybe, but probably my second-favorite Martian civilization after A Miracle of Science.

It sounds like an entire planet of people who feel like they have the right to butt into your business, come and take your stuff if they feel like it, and general intrude in your life whenever and however they feel like.

Also, the last think I want is more TED... too many TED talks are garbage pop-science nonsense, particularly those focusing on psychology (TED loves it some evolutionary psychology pseudoscience).
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy

Postby David1 » Sun May 20, 2018 6:55 pm

I'd be surprised if any actual AI lacked a subconscious. Modern computers are filled with layers; a user program issues commands for more memory, to save a file, to display a window, and library functions and the operating system handle the issue, the details being completely irrelevant to the program. Current systems of artificial intelligence already have layers that are mostly inexplicable to anyone, except with deep human study; a neural network doesn't know why it recognizes something, it just does, and the systems it would need to understand this part of itself would dwarf the size of the recognizer. Zoa wouldn't be processing this all at the top level; she'd be integrating data from subsystems processing her inputs to tell her what she needs to go, and issuing orders at a high level that would get broken down into fine movements elsewhere.
David1

Return to Forward