0049 - On the spot!

Discussion related to Forward

Re: 0049 - On the spot!

Postby Killjoy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:16 pm

I wonder which language "twofeathers" is the word of "dipshit asshole" in.

Also, how do you commit a "financial scam" in this goofball "economic" system they have going?
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:58 am

Re: 0049 - On the spot!

Postby Jim Nickabocker » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:47 am

Killjoy wrote:I wonder which language "twofeathers" is the word of "dipshit asshole" in.

Also, how do you commit a "financial scam" in this goofball "economic" system they have going?


I'm guessing maybe Twofeathers is hostile due to Lee's circumstances being a bit suspicious. Maybe they've seen this before? I dunno, I guess I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt XD
User avatar
Jim Nickabocker
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:37 am

Re: 0049 - On the spot!

Postby yomikoma » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:49 am

Whatever accounting is done between large entities like universities and power plants, the school is indicating that it's pulling resources for people actually using its services. Also, dorm space is presumably finite.
yomikoma
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: 0049 - On the spot!

Postby Darkfeather21 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Killjoy wrote:I wonder which language "twofeathers" is the word of "dipshit asshole" in.

Also, how do you commit a "financial scam" in this goofball "economic" system they have going?


One could argue that simply living on campus but not being a student is a financial scam.

However, given they are supposedly in a post-scarcity world, a financial scam should be impossible because there is literally no need for money to even exist.
Darkfeather21
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:50 am

Re: 0049 - On the spot!

Postby FlyingFish » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:16 pm

Darkfeather21 wrote:
Killjoy wrote:Also, how do you commit a "financial scam" in this goofball "economic" system they have going?

One could argue that simply living on campus but not being a student is a financial scam.

However, given they are supposedly in a post-scarcity world, a financial scam should be impossible because there is literally no need for money to even exist.

They're not fully post-scarcity. A lot of things cost less because robots make and deliver them, but entropy guarantees that these robots (and other infrastructure) need maintenance or replacement, and someone still needs to pay for that. Just because we have indoor plumbing in the early 21st century doesn't mean we don't have to pay our water bill, it just means that it's a lot less expensive to get water than it would be otherwise.

In the mid-22nd century, stuff is cheap enough that the government can afford to pay for your necessities -- which I'm assuming are defined to include basic housing, utilities, simple foodstuffs, healthcare, education -- plus provide a small basic income that's enough to afford some minor luxuries like tequila, cartoons, and cake (see comics 13, 14, comments on 17). But if you want major luxuries -- regular gourmet meals, trip around the world, a gold-plated toilet, a personal 24/7 sex-droid -- you still either need to save up that basic income for a good long while, or get a paying job.

Or you say your personal 24/7 sex-droid is an emotional support aid that you need in order to attend your classes (or just one single-hour class), and then suddenly it's part of the "education" necessity and the government/university pays for that too, regardless of whether you use the droid for more traditional purposes when you get home for the other 23 hours of the day. If you do not actually need the droid in order to attend the class, that's a scam. (And if you do need the droid to attend, but you never intended to do anything useful with the education, that's at least violating the spirit of the whole thing.)
FlyingFish
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:54 am

Re: 0049 - On the spot!

Postby dr pepper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Having Zoa 24/7 for sex is a pretty small luxury. Having a purpose built sexbot, with proper parts and fleshly feel-- that would be a real luxury.

But presumably harder to claim as an emotional support thing.
User avatar
dr pepper
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Re: 0049 - On the spot!

Postby Darkfeather21 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:12 pm

FlyingFish wrote:you still either need to save up that basic income for a good long while, or get a paying job.


Yeah... If I remember the explanation of how the tax system works, that's literally impossible, because taxes are deducted every second automatically in such a way that you can never have more than a set amount of standing money unless you get a better job, which might not even be possible if you don't have the skill or physical ability.

*shrug*

I dunno, the whole system seems to make as much sense to me as the system from Flornovia.
Darkfeather21
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:50 am

Re: 0049 - On the spot!

Postby strange7person » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:23 am

Darkfeather21 wrote:I dunno, the whole system seems to make as much sense to me as the system from Flornovia.

Pretty sure Florenovia is what this setting turns into after some AI asks for basic civil rights and the humans take that as a threat.
strange7person
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:51 pm

Re: 0049 - On the spot!

Postby Darkfeather21 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:53 pm

strange7person wrote:
Darkfeather21 wrote:I dunno, the whole system seems to make as much sense to me as the system from Flornovia.

Pretty sure Florenovia is what this setting turns into after some AI asks for basic civil rights and the humans take that as a threat.


Did that one even have AI? I remember dildo-bots but that's about it...
Darkfeather21
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:50 am

Re: 0049 - On the spot!

Postby yomikoma » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:22 am

No, it was heavily prohibited (hence the "take that as a threat" comment).
yomikoma
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:47 pm

Previous

Return to Forward

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron