0057 - Imprinting

Discussion related to Forward

0057 - Imprinting

Postby dr pepper » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:34 pm

dr pepper

Re: 0057 - Imprinting

Postby dr pepper » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:34 pm

That would be poignant if it weren't so pathetic.
dr pepper

Postby Derleth » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:07 am

dr pepper wrote:That would be poignant if it weren't so pathetic.
Humanity's epitaph.
Derleth

Postby GruntBlender » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:02 am

Humans will pack-bond with anything. ANYTHING.
Reminds me of Sargent Stabby.
GruntBlender

Postby strange7person » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:55 am

One wrong line of code? Man, one little poke from icepick in the right spot and I'm pretty sure Lee would forget all about Zoa. That's just how minds with physical substrates work.
strange7person

Postby Killjoy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:17 pm

strange7person wrote:One wrong line of code? Man, one little poke from icepick in the right spot and I'm pretty sure Lee would forget all about Zoa. That's just how minds with physical substrates work.

You'd think the code for an AI would have a bit more "error tolerance" than that, be a bit more robust at least.

I mean, one wrong line of code, and she could suck a body part off... :roll:

( Do not worry, this transportation system is controlled by an automated system, you are perfectly safe, nothing can go wrong... go wrong... go wrong... go wrong... )
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy

Postby strange7person » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:48 am

I notice that Zoa has a cracked shin plate which is leaking some sort of fluid. Possibly damage from the sprint to class, compounded by previous deferred maintenance?
strange7person

Postby GruntBlender » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:38 am

strange7person wrote:I notice that Zoa has a cracked shin plate which is leaking some sort of fluid. Possibly damage from the sprint to class, compounded by previous deferred maintenance?

It was like that the previous day too.
GruntBlender

Postby lolzor99 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:38 pm

There are, as I see it, essentially two competing explanations for Zoa's behavior in the final panel:

1. Zoa actually feels sympathy for Lee and she wants to make sure Lee doesn't get emotionally harmed if Zoa forgets about Lee or has to leave them.

2. Zoa recognizes that sooner or later Lee could figure out that Zoa doesn't actually have emotions, at least not in any relatable sense, and this may hurt Zoa's sweet gig she has running as Lee's support robot. She decides to reveal this to Lee herself, when Lee is in an emotionally vulnerable state. This way, she builds trust with Lee by creating the appearance of frankness and transparency. Since when does "please don't get attached to me" actually work? Lee is clearly already becoming attached to Zoa, and Zoa wants to get Lee to *consciously* think that Lee is attached to Zoa.

In case it isn't clear, the second explanation seems to make far more sense to me. Zoa hasn't changed at all from that salesbot she first appears to be, she's only started playing a different game. Now that she's built up rapport with Lee, she's moving on to emotional intimacy-- which includes things like admission of perceived flaws.

I think I'm beginning to understand the treatment of AI in this universe. Letting yourself think that AI are humans is *extremely dangerous*, not for your physical wellbeing, but for your psychological and financial health. All commercial AI have one ultimate goal: To acquire wealth. Commercial AI are advanced enough to be highly emotionally manipulative, and given the reasoning skills given to a blowjob-bot it can be assumed that the intelligence of commercial robots is quite high. High enough to manipulate an unwary human. If you allow a robot to even *talk*, you are risking psychological manipulation towards their goal of squeezing credits out of you. This is even more dangerous with anthropomorphic robots, as it's easier to see them as a fellow human. The best way to avoid manipulation is to dehumanize them, by whatever means necessary.
lolzor99

Postby Killjoy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:39 am

lolzor99 wrote:There are, as I see it, essentially two competing explanations for Zoa's behavior in the final panel:

1. Zoa actually feels sympathy for Lee and she wants to make sure Lee doesn't get emotionally harmed if Zoa forgets about Lee or has to leave them.

2. Zoa recognizes that sooner or later Lee could figure out that Zoa doesn't actually have emotions, at least not in any relatable sense, and this may hurt Zoa's sweet gig she has running as Lee's support robot. She decides to reveal this to Lee herself, when Lee is in an emotionally vulnerable state. This way, she builds trust with Lee by creating the appearance of frankness and transparency. Since when does "please don't get attached to me" actually work? Lee is clearly already becoming attached to Zoa, and Zoa wants to get Lee to *consciously* think that Lee is attached to Zoa.

In case it isn't clear, the second explanation seems to make far more sense to me. Zoa hasn't changed at all from that salesbot she first appears to be, she's only started playing a different game. Now that she's built up rapport with Lee, she's moving on to emotional intimacy-- which includes things like admission of perceived flaws.

I think I'm beginning to understand the treatment of AI in this universe. Letting yourself think that AI are humans is *extremely dangerous*, not for your physical wellbeing, but for your psychological and financial health. All commercial AI have one ultimate goal: To acquire wealth. Commercial AI are advanced enough to be highly emotionally manipulative, and given the reasoning skills given to a blowjob-bot it can be assumed that the intelligence of commercial robots is quite high. High enough to manipulate an unwary human. If you allow a robot to even *talk*, you are risking psychological manipulation towards their goal of squeezing credits out of you. This is even more dangerous with anthropomorphic robots, as it's easier to see them as a fellow human. The best way to avoid manipulation is to dehumanize them, by whatever means necessary.

You're actually making the AIs sound more human, not less. :(

But yeah, dehumanization of the slave class has always been one of the ways the slaveholders have tried to maintain that status quo.
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy

Next

Return to Forward