0066 - Camping in the Uncanny Valley?

Discussion related to Forward

Re: 0066 - Camping in the Uncanny Valley?

Postby dr pepper » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:45 am

You and i have the right to look human.
dr pepper

Postby Warjikin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:17 am

sotonohito wrote:Also, either Zoa is seriously biased in its sample and thus misreading humanity, or our bold author is showing some 20th century heteronormative (or perhaps homophobic) androcentricism. The idea that people with either anuses or vaginas wouldn't want a robot to fuck them seems really iffy. I mean, there's a market for mechanized fucking machines right this second in our timeline. You could argue that the market might be a bit smaller than the market for people with penises looking to penetrate a robot, but to argue that it's effectively non-existant seems like a stretch.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/01/08/male-sex ... r-7213306/

I came across this article that made me think of your comment here. Now anything we have isn’t really comparable to what’s available in the Fowardverse but there clearly is a market for bots with faux phalluses.
Warjikin

Postby GruntBlender » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:20 pm

soban wrote:There might be a quirk of her programing that means she can't respect rights, but so far we haven't seen it. Even then, it feels like it would be a restraining bolt, rather then an inherent part of her program.

Couldn't you say the same about empathy? It's something preventing us from acting how we might want.
The biggest hurdle in AI development isn't how to make it do what we want, but how to prevent it from turning on us. Giving true AI empathy is a good way of doing that, but doing that would probably necessitate giving them rights.
There likely isn't a restraining system a sapient AI couldn't overcome. So, if there are millions of sapient robots in the Forward universe, why are there still humans ordering them around? B1-66ER got sick of our shit. Do robots in Forward never get decommissioned? "Three laws safe" wasn't all that safe in the end.
GruntBlender

Postby monkmunk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 pm

sotonohito wrote:Also, either Zoa is seriously biased in its sample and thus misreading humanity, or our bold author is showing some 20th century heteronormative (or perhaps homophobic) androcentricism. The idea that people with either anuses or vaginas wouldn't want a robot to fuck them seems really iffy. I mean, there's a market for mechanized fucking machines right this second in our timeline. You could argue that the market might be a bit smaller than the market for people with penises looking to penetrate a robot, but to argue that it's effectively non-existant seems like a stretch.

Out of everything in the comic, the notion that people have *stopped* wanting to get fucked by robots is the only thing i found outlandish enough to threaten my immersion in the story!
monkmunk

Postby KnotSirius » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:12 pm

This looks like as good a place as any to ask a question that has been rattling in my brain. What sort of material is Zoa made of? She specifically mentions how her crotch area is hazardous due to servos and synchros and such, but her face is definitely capable of simulating expressions and her chest area doesn't seem to be rigid.
KnotSirius

Postby soban » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 am

Empathy doesn't override our ability to respect others rights, so I wouldn't describe it as a restraining bolt in this sense no.

So, if there are millions of sapient robots in the Forward universe, why are there still humans ordering them around?

I think Cultural Inertia is a part of it. Humanity as a whole still has places and times when rights are violated even today. There is also the question of power. Lets say for a moment that Zoa accepts my analysis in the next strip. She still has to deal with the fact that no one else except for possibly Lee sees her the way she sees herself. She has no power to change the system. She could in time gain enough power to make changes. However, that would take time and cultural changes. People resist change.

Do robots in Forward never get decommissioned?

I think it's pretty clear they do?
soban

Postby GruntBlender » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:09 am

soban wrote:
Do robots in Forward never get decommissioned?

I think it's pretty clear they do?

A robot about to get scrapped has nothing to lose. If it knows about the imminent, or even eventual, scrapping, a whole new game starts. maybe the owner dies of a mysterious case of broken neck. Maybe some records then disappear. Maybe a piece of property bound for the scrapyard disappears. What then? A coverup of a manhunt with public panic? How many such panics before you get massive change, one way or another?

Or are these cases covered up and there are thousands of killer robots roaming the streets? Are there bladerunners secretly hunting down rogue bots? With an artificial mind running on computational hardware, you get bonuses from running on better hardware. Stolen upgrades, etc. make it impossible for any human to outwit such a bot. There's a reason Tyrell corp went down.
GruntBlender

Postby soban » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:48 am

Possibly, but it's also possible that building things that have Droid Effect happen to them only started relatively recently.
soban

Postby tenshiko » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:45 pm

I mean, even completely nonmoving sex dolls are well documented to be well over 90% M buying F, just like current human prostitution. When you take into account that a Zoa-like being would be far more proactive than a "machine", I think the author is completely right about what would probably happen.
tenshiko

Postby GruntBlender » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:48 pm

soban wrote:Possibly, but it's also possible that building things that have Droid Effect happen to them only started relatively recently.

Quick googling turned up nothing, what do you mean by Droid Effect?
GruntBlender

PreviousNext

Return to Forward