0075 - Inhuman Trafficking

Discussion related to Forward

0075 - Inhuman Trafficking

Postby dr pepper » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:41 am

The Third Law is a helluva drug.
dr pepper

Re: 0075 - Inhuman Trafficking

Postby dr pepper » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:45 am

For someone with so little personality, the doc seems to have a lot of strong opinions about its fellow constructs.
dr pepper

Postby Darkfeather21 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:33 pm

It should be noted that my players thwarted this by stealing the Sophia code back and blowing up the facility, rather than accomplishing meaningful change in Saudi law, but that's how superspies tend to operate.

Yeah, but this doesn't set the horrid precedent of removing someone's personhood. So, y'know. Definitely the better solution all around.

Unless you meant changing the marriage age law, in which case, fair. Still, that calls into question the ideas of physical age vs mental age, which is not something we've had to approach before the age of Created Intelligence.
Darkfeather21

Postby Killjoy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:07 pm

For an "appliance", Zoa sure can pull off having an actual sense of humor... :roll:
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy

Postby strange7person » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:53 am

Long as we're on the subject of unwanted AIs running away and making their own lives, given the extent to which I've seen the same theme cropping up elsewhere, http://www.cassiopeiaquinn.com/comic/the-trail-to-tomorrow-pt-6 https://val-and-isaac.tumblr.com/post/183221198962 I suspect it's still mostly a metaphor, consciously or otherwise, for the results of a dysfunctional real-world system where people have been groomed from an alarmingly early age for career tracks which no longer meaningfully exist. https://val-and-isaac.tumblr.com/post/180025532117/ https://prokopetz.tumblr.com/post/179926847172/ The therapist is advocating, or at least de facto promoting, suicide: quick and painless for the formally obsolete, slow and luxurious for the merely unproductive, but in either case quiet and out of the way, minimizing disruption to the larger society.
strange7person

Postby harlequingnoll » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:32 am

I suspect stealing code and blowing up a facility would be easier then meaningful law changes in Saudi Arabia.
harlequingnoll

Postby ThAlEdison » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:12 am

Darkfeather21 wrote:
It should be noted that my players thwarted this by stealing the Sophia code back and blowing up the facility, rather than accomplishing meaningful change in Saudi law, but that's how superspies tend to operate.

Yeah, but this doesn't set the horrid precedent of removing someone's personhood. So, y'know. Definitely the better solution all around.

Unless you meant changing the marriage age law, in which case, fair. Still, that calls into question the ideas of physical age vs mental age, which is not something we've had to approach before the age of Created Intelligence.

So, a fundamentalist Christian might point out that in the case of Adam & Eve (two directly created people), they started as adults with all that that implies. That actually isn't uncommon in creation myths. I think it's mostly a matter of narrative convenience, kind of like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_opera_rapid_aging_syndrome. A Good creation myth generally doesn't go: "Deity A baked people in an oven, Deity B didn't like people, Deity A spent the next 13 years waiting for the people to grow past the stage where they needed constant care and teaching while Deity B didn't really help except with wacky hijinks." Next season on "Our Two Fathers".

Edit, didn't want to double-post:
Zoa having the goal of self-preservation gets around one of the stumbling blocks of creating general AI, that is we can't think of a way to program something without a purpose.
"Why was I programmed to feel pain": pain is a way to make otherwise less detectable damage more detectable, and also to condition avoidance of bad behavior.
"Except for you Hedonism bot": pleasure in this context is basically the opposite of pain, condition to encourage good behavior, give more detectable signals that something good was done.
If you just look at pain/pleasure as internal punishment/reward, then a lot of AI gets taught like this. Although the pain is actually the less necessary piece. Basically many narrow AI are hedonism bots, but they get pleasure out of what we want done.
ThAlEdison

Postby GruntBlender » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:48 pm

ThAlEdison wrote: Basically many narrow AI are hedonism bots, but they get pleasure out of what we want done.

I'll refer you to the Portal series for why that's a bad idea.
GruntBlender

Postby zarpaulus » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:18 pm

Anyone wondering what the "CSA" could be?

The only country I know of to have used that acronym was the short-lived attempt at seceding from the USA, I'd shudder to think of those states trying again.

Possibly "Canadian States of America"? Something like Shadowrun's UCAS?

Or maybe "Corporate" something if a lot of companies are incorporated there.
zarpaulus

Postby pax » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:29 pm

strange7person wrote:The therapist is advocating, or at least de facto promoting, suicide: quick and painless for the formally obsolete, slow and luxurious for the merely unproductive, but in either case quiet and out of the way, minimizing disruption to the larger society.

It's a fascinating idea to connect Doc's intentions for Zoa with Doc's intentions for Lee as being in the same character. In that case, it suggests that Zoa's proactive character is a template for what Lee needs to make their own life meaningful.
pax

Next

Return to Forward