0216 - Robots, who knows why they do things?

Discussion related to Forward

0216 - Robots, who knows why they do things?

Postby dr pepper » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:37 pm

dr pepper

Re: 0216 - Robots, who knows why they do things?

Postby sirgarberto » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:33 pm

I find it funny that it hasn't occurred to Lee yet that they could just rescind Zoa's granted authority.
sirgarberto

Postby Killjoy » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:03 am

A lot of things don't occur to Lee when it comes to controlling their own life, that's part of the problem.
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:47 am

Also, that could be the very first panel next week. But for the moment, Lee's train of thought has been diverted by this exploration into Zoa's motivations.
FlyingFish

Postby tenshiko » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:06 pm

Can I just say it's funny that this particular forum has been overrun by spambots? A fitting end.
tenshiko

Postby Truec » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:46 pm

I wonder if Lee can actually remotely remove Zoa's privileges, or if it would require Zoa being present.

Or if Lee would be unwilling to do so because that would mean taking responsibility for something, even if it's only the ability to turn Doc off.

tenshiko wrote:Can I just say it's funny that this particular forum has been overrun by spambots? A fitting end.

As the prophecy foretold.
Truec

Postby tenshiko » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:55 am

I do think the likeliest reason for Zoa's actions is that Lee said they wanted to practice treating androids like people. Well, can't turn people off.
tenshiko

Postby conantheimp » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:14 am

tenshiko wrote:Well, can't turn people off.

Well, you can, but it's considered rather rude.

I'm not sure the conclusion that an AI isn't a person is necessarily the right one. For that reason, the world of Forward has struck me as a mite dystopian. Everything else is all fine and good, but the state of AI Rights is a massive grey area. How DO you determine personhood?

If the answer is prescriptivist, then it's simple: it's whatever you decided. AIs aren't people, done.

If the answer is descriptivist, you're in for a whole 'nother ballgame. Obviously a simple chatbot shouldn't be meeting the definition, but once an AI has complex goals, the appearance of emotion, etc, what separates us? The human brain is a meat computer, pure and simple. It has some neat learning algorithms incorporates some really strange chemically-based operations, and has a really bad information storage codex, but it's a deterministic system. With a powerful enough computer, you should be able to emulate or simulate a human brain, emotion, memory, an entire life. And that's just a human at that point, just run on different hardware. Once you can do that, what, really, is the difference?

I can't remember where exactly, but my faulty meat remembers a Forward comic that did explain how the current stance on AI came about. Does anyone remember where that might be, if it exists at all?
conantheimp

Postby soban » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:16 pm

For me, I really like the Quantum Vibe formulation for 'personhood'.

anyone who can understand what rights are and can both respect and demand them, has them.

I would argue that if you take that formulation, then Zoa and Doc are persons. There might be legal reason why they can't demand their rights, but just because a human is a slave who has been conditioned to not demand their rights doesn't make them not a person.
soban

Postby tenshiko » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:18 pm

Please don't take me as arguing AIs aren't persons. Every single page of this comic converges on the reality that AIs are persons. This comic, where Zoa is so ludicrously realistic as to act annoying, is the latest of dozens in this vein.
tenshiko

Next

Return to Forward