0020 - Do i have to explain humans to you?

Discussion related to Forward

0020 - Do i have to explain humans to you?

Postby dr pepper » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:49 am

dr pepper

Re: 0020 - Do i have to explain humans to you?

Postby dr pepper » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:15 am

Apparently Zoa has customers who philosophize.
dr pepper

Postby Killjoy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:12 pm

Or she's actually studied these things, and is being wasted on the constant choice between sucking dick or being "deactivated".
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy

Postby GruntBlender » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:06 pm

Killjoy wrote:Or she's actually studied these things, and is being wasted on the constant choice between sucking dick or being "deactivated".

Wasted is a relative thing. That depends on whether she's a p-zombie or actually sentient.
GruntBlender

Postby Killjoy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:06 pm

GruntBlender wrote:
Killjoy wrote:Or she's actually studied these things, and is being wasted on the constant choice between sucking dick or being "deactivated".

Wasted is a relative thing. That depends on whether she's a p-zombie or actually sentient.

How do we tell the difference between "sentient" and "p-zombie"?

Are you willing to have your rights determined by someone else's evaluation of whether you're sentient or a p-zombie?
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy

Postby GruntBlender » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:55 pm

Killjoy wrote:
GruntBlender wrote:

How do we tell the difference between "sentient" and "p-zombie"?

Are you willing to have your rights determined by someone else's evaluation of whether you're sentient or a p-zombie?

Well that's the problem now, isn't it. With an AI, for example, the code could be examined to determine whether it has feelings or is just simulating them. Depending on the kind of AI. All current videogame AI, no matter how realistic it might act, is only simulating sentience.
GruntBlender

Postby Krail » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:42 am

I’m confused why Zoa considers this to be an arrangement a human being would not ordinarily accept. I would think a human who’s struggling to subsist would be happy to get paid to watch TV with some lonely weirdo. Or at least equally happy to do so as they would be to suck said lonely weirdo’s cock. Is it just the difference in time commitment?
Krail

Postby lemma » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:03 pm

GruntBlender wrote:Well that's the problem now, isn't it. With an AI, for example, the code could be examined to determine whether it has feelings or is just simulating them. Depending on the kind of AI. All current videogame AI, no matter how realistic it might act, is only simulating sentience.

There's a lot of machine learning stuff (eg. with neural networks) where it's actually quite hard to tell how the code is doing what it's doing. Just like the brain, they aren't always laid bare and comprehensibly tagged for human review. We can create the conditions for complex computation without being able to comprehend how that computation actually takes place.
lemma

Postby GruntBlender » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:53 am

lemma wrote:
GruntBlender wrote:Well that's the problem now, isn't it. With an AI, for example, the code could be examined to determine whether it has feelings or is just simulating them. Depending on the kind of AI. All current videogame AI, no matter how realistic it might act, is only simulating sentience.

There's a lot of machine learning stuff (eg. with neural networks) where it's actually quite hard to tell how the code is doing what it's doing. Just like the brain, they aren't always laid bare and comprehensibly tagged for human review. We can create the conditions for complex computation without being able to comprehend how that computation actually takes place.

I'm talking about the high level architecture. If all you have is a neural network, it won't just have no emotions, it'll have no capabilities at all. It'll be a useless mess of code and data. To get a neural net to do something useful, you need to not only train it but have high level architecture around it for it to take input from and feed the results to.

If, say, you have a chat bot that is just a neural network with near-unlimited storage and simple text processing functions (or even speech recognition and TTS modules), and you know that this network was trained on millions of real conversations, you can be sure it's not sentient no matter how convincing it sounds. I won't speculate on what the architecture of a sapient AI might look like since I'll most likely be wrong, but we'll be able to recognize it when we see it, or at least determine whether it's sentient through quick study of it, knowing its architecture. A great example of what I'm talking about is in the movie Ex Machina, though I won't spoil it here if anyone hasn't watched it.
I doubt very much we'll have sapient machines that we won't recognize as such, but I also doubt very much that we might have non-sapient machines that we won't be able to prove as such by analyzing how they're built.
GruntBlender

Return to Forward