Zoa's employment

Discussion related to Forward

Zoa's employment

Postby Felixscout » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:43 pm

I find its state interesting. As a machine one could assume it could update itself with information and implements to have a wide variety of occupations at its disposal, yet it is a robotic unskilled worker. OK BJs done well require some skill but still. Why is Zoa not much more gainfully employed than it is?

Choice? Hardware compatibility? Legislation or softer social norms?

Or something that will be revealed in due course? Probably this one.
When in doubt, be creative.
Felixscout

Re: Zoa's employment

Postby robertliguori » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:15 pm

Any work that Zoa could do that would be more gainful, I assume, already has a spun-up smart-as-Zoa AI already doing it, and they've got a head start.

The horror of Zoa's scenario isn't that Zoa's wasted in this position; it's that she's not, and that by virtue of her mouthsleeve, she actually is pursuing her most lucrative path.
robertliguori

Postby Felixscout » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:11 am

robertliguori wrote:Any work that Zoa could do that would be more gainful, I assume, already has a spun-up smart-as-Zoa AI already doing it, and they've got a head start.

Well that presumes a few things:

1) The economy is completely zero sum and even stepping in X periods later means Zoa will not be able to compete.
2) That robots do no sort of information sharing, which is a big deal in robotics currently, which would level any experiential differences to a high degree.

Otherwise I do agree that it is making the most of its situation.

Just why does that situation exist in the first place. Context is, as always, key.
When in doubt, be creative.
Felixscout

Postby Nepene » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:12 pm

There are several difficulties with employment.

There's a lot of race to the bottom- machines, designed for this, can perform most tasks cheaper than others.

Some would prefer humans of course, but most people are free to pursue any job, so the supply of people doing easy labour is huge. You have to be special. Is Zoa specially suited for this? Not really.
Nepene

Return to Forward