Discussion related to Forward

0098 - Good is fulfilling your role in the economic circle o

Postby dr pepper » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:06 pm

dr pepper

Re: 0098 - Good is fulfilling your role in the economic circ

Postby dr pepper » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:07 pm

Good is fulfilling your role in the economic circle of life

or

Keep that up and Zoa's gonna need some Roboxidol.
dr pepper

Postby Pyritefoolsgold » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:28 am

I... predict this forum thread is gonna be one of the controversial ones.
Pyritefoolsgold

Postby strange7person » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:45 am

The international situation described in the author's note makes no sense. What actual advantage is there to operating a business in the CSA? No cheap labor since all the working-class humans moved out, and anybody can build robots. No strategic minerals in that part of the world. If the factories are fully automated, and vat-meat is economically viable, details of the production process itself don't matter. If the outputs are toxic or substandard, congratulations, you're shitting where you eat and will be destroyed by trade sanctions.

Also, "bloodless war of attrition" is a contradiction in terms. Was stuff getting blown up, or not?
strange7person

Postby yomikoma » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:33 am

I guess the only difference is that you get to keep more of the money your company makes? But you're stuck in Boise with a few other trillionaires and a hell of a lot of badly-treated robots, and it will cost you a significant fraction of your fortune if you ever want to see the ocean again.
yomikoma

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:29 pm

A fun thing about corporations: if Apple Inc. has a headquarters in California, manufacturing plants in China, and stores around the world, where does it officially exist? Delaware, same as about half of the publicly traded companies. So long as a company has at least a non-trivial presence in any given location, it can say that is officially where it exists. So, naturally, any national or international company picks the place with the most advantageous laws and regulations for business. Within the US, that's Delaware. And to the state's advantage: they have a lower local corporate tax rate (especially after all the available write-offs), but they make up for it by having so many companies paying said taxes to the state.

The CSA sounds like the future's Delaware, and if the law of corporations hasn't changed too much in 150 years, a corporation can officially "exist" there merely by having their headquarters and maybe a single storefront within the nation's borders, thereby paying no taxes on either the company's profits or the CEO's income. And the manufacturing can still be anywhere they please -- laws specific to the location of the plant are applied to this manufacturing, but since they're almost certainly using robots for it, neither labor regulations nor income tax are issues anyway. The company employs precisely one human, the CEO, who lives in the CSA and is therefore untouchable.

So picture, say, half of Nebraska (100,000 square kilometers), divied up equally among a few thousand trillionaire CEOs. Each living in their giant manor in the middle of their 10+ square kilometers of property, which doubles as their corporation's HQ. Everything they need is delivered by drone or streamed in by satellite. The home is maintained by a small robot staff. Traffic, pollution, and crime is non-existent. Infrastructure is largely unnecessary and they have more than enough money to build what they need themselves (especially with, again, free labor by robots). For that matter, each chunk of land can be terraformed into a paradise of the inhabitant's liking, and there's no one nearby to even complain. Not much in-person human interaction, but Lee didn't have that either and believed this was an okay state of being. Oh yes, some would consider this to be a grand existence, especially when it's topped off by metaphorically going to sleep on a giant pile of money.
FlyingFish

Postby strange7person » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:01 pm

FlyingFish wrote:A fun thing about corporations: if Apple Inc. has a headquarters in California, manufacturing plants in China, and stores around the world, where does it officially exist? Delaware, same as about half of the publicly traded companies. So long as a company has at least a non-trivial presence in any given location, it can say that is officially where it exists. So, naturally, any national or international company picks the place with the most advantageous laws and regulations for business. Within the US, that's Delaware. And to the state's advantage: they have a lower local corporate tax rate (especially after all the available write-offs), but they make up for it by having so many companies paying said taxes to the state.

The CSA sounds like the future's Delaware, and if the law of corporations hasn't changed too much in 150 years, a corporation can officially "exist" there merely by having their headquarters and maybe a single storefront within the nation's borders, thereby paying no taxes on either the company's profits or the CEO's income. And the manufacturing can still be anywhere they please -- laws specific to the location of the plant are applied to this manufacturing, but since they're almost certainly using robots for it, neither labor regulations nor income tax are issues anyway. The company employs precisely one human, the CEO, who lives in the CSA and is therefore untouchable.

So picture, say, half of Nebraska (100,000 square kilometers), divied up equally among a few thousand trillionaire CEOs. Each living in their giant manor in the middle of their 10+ square kilometers of property, which doubles as their corporation's HQ. Everything they need is delivered by drone or streamed in by satellite. The home is maintained by a small robot staff. Traffic, pollution, and crime is non-existent. Infrastructure is largely unnecessary and they have more than enough money to build what they need themselves (especially with, again, free labor by robots). For that matter, each chunk of land can be terraformed into a paradise of the inhabitant's liking, and there's no one nearby to even complain. Not much in-person human interaction, but Lee didn't have that either and believed this was an okay state of being. Oh yes, some would consider this to be a grand existence, especially when it's topped off by metaphorically going to sleep on a giant pile of money.

I'm aware of the concept, but please note that only works because China, California, and Delaware aren't literally at war with each other.
strange7person

Postby dr pepper » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Next on Sox, Plate, and Tottle: The friends hear that Flip, the wealthy bully who bought out their housing block and used some shady procedures to raise the rent, has died. Now Flip's ambitious heir, Lexand, is looking to expand. But will Lexand prove to be a better person than the parental? Tottle, who at one time helped Lexand with homework, can only hope so.
dr pepper

Postby Killjoy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:21 pm

strange7person wrote:The international situation described in the author's note makes no sense. What actual advantage is there to operating a business in the CSA? No cheap labor since all the working-class humans moved out, and anybody can build robots. No strategic minerals in that part of the world. If the factories are fully automated, and vat-meat is economically viable, details of the production process itself don't matter. If the outputs are toxic or substandard, congratulations, you're shitting where you eat and will be destroyed by trade sanctions.

Cartoon caricature "bad guy states" set up as foils to the utopia the author is selling seldom do make much sense. (Note that this state even uses the same initials as the self-styled name of the Treason to Uphold Slavery in the 1860s.)

If I come off as a bit harsh, it's because I find the society Lee lives in loathsome in many ways that seem to be fig-leafed by the total acceptance of everyone's everything.

Personally, I never want to be snared in the sort of "safety net" that the non-CSA world has woven around its citizens.
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy

Postby Truec » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:53 pm

Killjoy wrote:
strange7person wrote:The international situation described in the author's note makes no sense. What actual advantage is there to operating a business in the CSA? No cheap labor since all the working-class humans moved out, and anybody can build robots. No strategic minerals in that part of the world. If the factories are fully automated, and vat-meat is economically viable, details of the production process itself don't matter. If the outputs are toxic or substandard, congratulations, you're shitting where you eat and will be destroyed by trade sanctions.

Cartoon caricature "bad guy states" set up as foils to the utopia the author is selling seldom do make much sense. (Note that this state even uses the same initials as the self-styled name of the Treason to Uphold Slavery in the 1860s.)

If I come off as a bit harsh, it's because I find the society Lee lives in loathsome in many ways that seem to be fig-leafed by the total acceptance of everyone's everything.

Personally, I never want to be snared in the sort of "safety net" that the non-CSA world has woven around its citizens.

I'm still not sure we're supposed to accept that Forward-Canada is supposed to be as much of a Utopia as it's presented to be. I'm not even sure the CSA exists.

Of course, most people tell me I'm wrong about my theory that Oceania, Eurasia, and Eastasia in 1984 are all the same country, so maybe I'm just crazy.
Truec

Next

Return to Forward