0112 - In the future they still maintain the Masquerade

Discussion related to Forward

0112 - In the future they still maintain the Masquerade

Postby dr pepper » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:09 pm

dr pepper

Re: 0112 - In the future they still maintain the Masquerade

Postby dr pepper » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:10 pm

And our main charater is in a permanent state of torpor.
dr pepper

Postby zarpaulus » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:05 pm

Slight note on the commentary: Cain was a farmer, Abel was the herder.

That's why he only had vegetables to offer YHWH while Abel sacrificed a sheep.
zarpaulus

Postby Killjoy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:18 pm

Like I said, I'm not sure anyone in this society can call anyone else a "freeloader" without being a hypocrite.
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy

Postby Darkfeather21 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:40 pm

Y'know...

Is it just me or do all characters with incredibly square jaws turn out to be unlikable asswipes?
Darkfeather21

Postby Rodn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:04 am

Seconding zarpaulus' note – in the original Hebrew, Cain is saying "I did not know that I was my brother's guardian" – or, with some interpretations, he's saying "I don't know. Am I my brother's guardian?"
Rodn

Postby Nepene » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:40 pm

Darkfeather21 wrote:Y'know...

Is it just me or do all characters with incredibly square jaws turn out to be unlikable asswipes?

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... wOfJustice

The author tends to use square jaws for angry males who aren't very likeable. Arnold, Gregory, say. Presumably in some past life an angry jaw attacked them.
Nepene

Postby David1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:19 am

Killjoy wrote:Like I said, I'm not sure anyone in this society can call anyone else a "freeloader" without being a hypocrite.

I think that's implicit in the definition of "society". Farmers tend to depend on military who don't grow food to keep them safe from raiders and invaders. There's nobody who stands only on their own two feet.
David1

Postby Killjoy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:02 pm

David1 wrote:
Killjoy wrote:Like I said, I'm not sure anyone in this society can call anyone else a "freeloader" without being a hypocrite.

I think that's implicit in the definition of "society". Farmers tend to depend on military who don't grow food to keep them safe from raiders and invaders. There's nobody who stands only on their own two feet.

You're conflating interdependence (which has its own downsides) with literal freeloading.

The economic system and universal welfare system in place in this society mean that most of the people are the latter.
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy

Postby David1 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:19 am

Killjoy wrote:You're conflating interdependence (which has its own downsides) with literal freeloading.

The economic system and universal welfare system in place in this society mean that most of the people are the latter.

Now you're moving the lines. Patricia is doing a job, one that's been around in specific academic sense for a few hundred years, and in a general sense since society advanced to the point that organizations needed middle managers. What does it matter how she's getting paid for doing that job?

A lot of jobs are also done for free in our day; artists post stuff, people review works, people analyze politics. I doubt anyone in the Forward society is purely a freeloader; Lee probably has supplied many reviews. A musician or artist or critic is not a freeloader, just because their income is disconnected from their work. Certainly in our society how hard you work is at best minimally connected to how well you get paid.
David1

Next

Return to Forward