0130 - Teddy bear needs a cuddle

Discussion related to Forward

0130 - Teddy bear needs a cuddle

Postby dr pepper » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:18 pm

dr pepper

Re: 0130 - Teddy bear needs a cuddle

Postby dr pepper » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:21 pm

You got PTSD in my agoraphobia! Yes, it's two chronic psychological conditions that make magic together!

Or maybe just morbid depression.
dr pepper

Postby tenshiko » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:04 pm

"Well, my understanding is that people will set up automatic notifications for stuff their friends are doing" is the sentence that freaked me out the most. After several readthroughs, I inferred that Caleb set up a search alert and in turn Lee's professional cuddler listing was posted on some kind of extremely public website (though "website" per se seems totally inadequate the scope of the automation and optimization present in Foward). That's a little less creepy than anyone who unilaterally adds you as a friend getting to see everything you do regardless of other privacy settings...
tenshiko

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:47 am

tenshiko wrote:...and in turn Lee's professional cuddler listing was posted on some kind of extremely public website (though "website" per se seems totally inadequate the scope of the automation and optimization present in Foward).

Lee is definitely "listed" as a cuddler (and rateable on a ten scale) somewhere public, based on the past three comics. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if such listings were a regulatory requirement of opening a business -- it's perfectly reasonable to require that your potential clients be able to know about your services and whether past clients were satisfied with them, as well as provide a platform to file complaints. (But hey, in turn, you get the government itself telling the nation about your business whenever they're searching for a good cuddle, so free advertising!) The result would be the Better Business Bureau and Yelp combined, made mandatory and run by whatever they call the Department of Industry in 2167. And addition to this system is probably automatic when you register your business in the first place (convenient!)
FlyingFish

Postby Killjoy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:55 am

Even in the real world, it's amazing how things that could easily be considered aggravated stalking, are considered absolutely normal by so many people.

Forward, on the other hand, depicts a literal living hell for anyone actually interested in privacy and security, and if you dropped me in there I'd exhaust every way I could get out to some other part of the world, and then if that didn't work... find a way to end it.
Likes his women like he likes his coffee... a little sweet, a little spicy, a little strong, a little earthy, a little smokey, totally honest, and maybe a little offended by being compared to a beverage.
Killjoy

Return to Forward