Title pending.

Serious discussions on politics, religion, and the like.

Title pending.

Postby doctor100 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:03 am

I'm working on an end-times prophecy board game. Would anyone like to help me build it?
Particularly considerign that so much of morality is emotional based 'not to hurt people' 'don't be mean' 'build community' 'listen' 'be humble', a logical answer doesn't present itself, the problems exist in an emotional framework.
doctor100

Re: Title pending.

Postby doctor100 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:07 am

This is a old class project, at a lit college for a media class; a more recent draft exist; a a couple of minor rule changes are pending.

http://eurrth.wordpress.com/rules/

Y'all are the first group I'm showing it to- it actually originated from that game creation thread awhile back
Particularly considerign that so much of morality is emotional based 'not to hurt people' 'don't be mean' 'build community' 'listen' 'be humble', a logical answer doesn't present itself, the problems exist in an emotional framework.
doctor100

Postby snowyowl » Tue May 13, 2014 12:42 am

doctor100 wrote:I'm working on an end-times prophecy board game.

To misquote comic 542, this isn't a boardgame, it's a roleplaying game.

doctor100 wrote:2d10 you may reroll the lower on a result of 11

Why this? Why not something easier to remember, like 1d20 or 4d6? What kind of whacko system rerolls on an 11?

Rouge

That's "Rogue". Rouge is a type of makeup.

I can't find any character generation rules. How do I determine starting attributes?
... in bed.
snowyowl

Postby RyukaTana » Tue May 13, 2014 12:51 am

If you're asking 'why 2d10', I'd say because it's got a good 'curve' (more of an angle, but whatever), with a decent amount of randomness but still more likely to roll average than the extremes. I've explored a lot of dice systems trying to find good dice curves, and 2d10 is one of the best simple curves (at least in the ~20 category) to get a balance of both.

As for the 11 thing, I dunno. I'm not drawn to reading the rules enough to see if I can understand them.
"Yamete, oshiri ga itai!"
RyukaTana

Postby snowyowl » Tue May 13, 2014 2:57 am

Sorry for the confusion. I do understand rolling 2d10, I don't get the 11 thing.

I'm finding it a bit hard to read - no offence meant Doctor, but is English your second language? The system itself seems fairly solid, at least the parts that are there. I can't find anything that describes how to determine your starting attributes, or how much XP you get from fights.
... in bed.
snowyowl

Postby doctor100 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:58 pm

I made some changes, and updated with a more recent version.

the eleven thing is because it happens twice as often as rolling a 20 on a 1d20.

http://eurrth.wordpress.com/rules/

This version is slightly closer to publication.

I'll let this stand for itself for a minute before I address other concerns.
doctor100

Postby doctor100 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:00 pm

The difference of fighting goblins with weapons or without weapons makes a huge difference-and should be awarded experience differently.

Thank you for the constructive feedback.

While I'm satisfied with most of the game, I'm not satisfied with defending against multiple opponents-the "moment of decision" rule.
doctor100

Postby snowyowl » Wed May 14, 2014 6:05 pm

doctor100 wrote:the eleven thing is because it happens twice as often as rolling a 20 on a 1d20.

Yeah, but nobody re-rolls on a 20.

I understand this in the context of damage rolls, because you re-roll and add to the damage, so there's a microscopic chance that a peasant with a stick will kill a dragon god in one blow (except he won't, because the to-hit roll is 2d10 plus bonuses, but that's fine). And rolling max damage is fairly exciting already, so adding free bonuses on top of that is fun. That's good. But I don't understand the 11 thing.

The Armor table says that being naked gives +2 armour, but wearing clothes and no armour gives +1. Is that right?
... in bed.
snowyowl

Postby doctor100 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Unless he's Smaug, your dragon should never have +20; the highest level fighter only has +16.

If your zero level peasant threw a stick at a +18 armor dragon, he could hit if he rolled 20 and the dragon rolled a 2. Still possible.

If your dragon had +12 armor (better than platemail) and you had a fifth level fighter, you would need to roll higher than the dragon by 6.

All assuming no magic or bonuses. I would totally give the peasant bonuses.

A twenty is rolled only 1.1% of the time, and your bonus/penalty scaling is a bit steeper than D&D.

People love rerolling dice, as long as it doesn't happen to often.

As for the naked thing, what do you think? seems about right to me.
doctor100

Postby SoftDream » Wed May 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Incentivizing nudity? Works for me.
SoftDream

Return to Serious Business